Introduction to sewing stretch knits
If you have experience sewing woven garments and want to learn how to sew jersey knits this course is for you.
In the first 5 weeks you will learn the techniques needed to construct jersey t-shirts, leggings dresses and more using a standard sewing machine or overlocker. This will be followed by 5 weeks project time making a jersey garment of your choice that fits you.
On this course you will learn :
- What jersey fabric is and and how its different from woven fabrics
- What the stretch percentage of fabrics and types of stretch are.
- How to apply neck & cuff bindings
- Finishing edges & making straps with foldover elastic
- Different hem finishes
- How to apply elastic for waistbands and decorative effects.
- How to hack a vest pattern
Wednesday 22nd April 2020
Wednesdays for 10 weeks with 1/2 term break
6pm to 8pm
beginners+ to intermediate
MAX IN A CLASS:
Please contact us by email or phone if you wish to attend this course.
Skills needed to take this class… You must have previously made woven garments.
This course will show you how to use either your sewing machine or overlocker to construct jersey knit garments. This course does not teach you how to thread & set up your overlocker, if you need to learn the basics please see our overlocker workshop
- Supporting written information to take home
- All materials for the 5 weeks of techniques are included in the cost.
- Use of studio equipment and tools.** (If you need to borrow a sewing machine for this session please let us know when you book.)
- Tea, Coffee, Juice
- You will need to purchase a pattern and fabric for your project garment – this will be discussed in class.
*Although most students will complete their project within the session, everyone works at their own pace so if you don’t finish your piece don’t worry because you will go home with the skills you need to complete it.
**Please be sure to read our Terms & conditions.
If you have any questions about classes and learning at Centre Front Studio, please contact us or check out our FAQs page