Introduction to sewing knits
If you have experience sewing woven garments and want to learn how to sew jersey knits and sweatshirting this course is for you.
On this 5 week course you will learn the techniques needed to construct t-shirts, sweats, hoodies, leggings, dresses and more using a standard sewing machine or overlocker.
On this course you will learn :
- What jersey fabric is and and how its different from woven fabrics
- What the stretch percentage of fabrics and types of stretch are.
- How to apply neck & cuff bindings
- Finishing edges & making straps with foldover elastic
- Different hem finishes
- How to apply elastic for waistbands and decorative effects.
- How to hack a pattern from a basic jersey garment.
START DATE: 17th April 2023
DURATION: Mondays for 5 weeks
CLASS TIMES: 6pm to 8.30pm
MAX IN A CLASS: 4
To book onto this workshop please contact us by email or phone with your address, postcode and a contact number.
Skills needed to take this class…
You must have previously made woven garments.
This course will show you how to use your sewing machine to construct jersey knit garments. The methods used can also be applied to making these garments with an overlocker.
- Supporting written information to take home
- All materials for the 5 weeks of techniques are included in the cost.
- Use of studio equipment and tools.** (If you need to borrow a sewing machine for this session please let us know when you book.)
- Tea, Coffee, Juice
- None for the skills samples.
*Although most students will complete their project within the session, everyone works at their own pace so if you don’t finish your piece don’t worry because you will go home with the skills you need to complete it.
**Please be sure to read our Terms & conditions.
If you have any questions about classes and learning at Centre Front Studio, please contact us or check out our FAQs page